Article (29) of the Basic Law of Governance stipulates: "The State shall foster sciences, arts and culture. It shall encourage scientific research, safeguard Islamic and Arabic heritage and contribute to Arab, Islamic, and human civilization". Article (14) of the Kingdom's media policy affirms that the media "shall make diverse, high quality programs designed to meet the intellectual and cultural needs of the well-educated in society by keeping them informed of scientific developments and acquainting them with contemporary intellectual trends". Such programs are offered to all on an equal basis.
Regrading scientific research, all universities have scientific research centers in each faculty with a specific budget commensurate with their field of specialization. These centers make scientific research available to everyone enrolled in the university and are supervised by a deanship in each university called the deanship of scientific research. The universities also have a number of research chairs that receive direct funding from interested businessmen and companies in areas that they, as backers, determine. A researcher retains the right to the product of his research, which is registered at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology in his/her name in case a patent or other moral right – scientific, literary or technical – is filed.
The Copyright Law, promulgated by Royal Decree No. (M/41), dated 02/07/1424H, corresponding to 30/08/2003, was intended, according to Article 2 of the Law, to provide legal protection for the authors of original works in the fields of science, literature and arts, irrespective of their type, means of expression, importance or purpose. Article (8) of the same Law affirms that the author(s) of the work shall own the rights prescribed in the Law. The author shall have the right to take any of the following actions, in accordance with the nature of the work: attribute the work to himself; resist any infringement of right; object to any alteration, distortion, amendment or change to his work; exercise his right to publish, record, exhibit, copy or translate his work; and exploit his work for financial gain by any legitimate means. Article (22) of the Law indicates that any person who violates authorial copyright shall be subject to a fine or closure of the business or printing press involved in the copyright violation for a period of not more than two months, in addition to affirming the right of an aggrieved author to compensation.
As for participation in cultural activities, several cultural and artistic societies are located all over the regions of the Kingdom, including the Saudi Arabian Society for Culture and Arts, founded in 1975, which serves the community of intellectuals, actors and artists; the Philatelic and Numismatic Society, founded in 1979; the Saudi Art Association, founded in 1990; the Saudi Theatre Association, founded in 2002; the Arabic Calligraphy Association, founded in 2007; the Cartoon Society, founded in 2008; and the Saudi Photography Association, founded in 2009. There are also 16 literary clubs and 84 public libraries across the country. The Kingdom holds several cultural events under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture and Information and a number of other agencies. These include:
- Riyadh International Book Fair: an annual ten-day event that attracts people from all categories of society;
- Janadriyah Heritage and Culture Festival, held annually;
- World Arabic Language Day, an annual event for those concerned with the Arabic language;
- World Poetry Day, on which events are held in public libraries for those interested in Arabic poetry;
- World Library Day, an annual celebration held at public libraries;
- International Literacy Day, on which elderly people who have obtained literacy certificates are celebrated;
- Annual book fair, held during the Hajj season to serve pilgrims;
- Art exhibitions, in which school pupils and amateur painters take part; they are held in public libraries and cultural centers;
- World Storytelling Day, an annual event held in conjunction with a book fair;
- World Children's Day, an annual festival held at King Fahd Cultural Center;
- Numerous events and activities arranged by the Ministry of Culture and Information at King Fahd Cultural Center, including free theatrical performances and weeks of exhibitions by persons with disabilities free of charge.